ShareThis

ShareThis

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

The Unknown Stranger

Mine is a good life, secure and sweet, but if you didn’t know me, you might think it is limited to a whole lot of sameness.  I live in a house that was built with 27 others that look just like it, am surrounded by people whose children go to the same schools mine do, and whose values are similar to mine.  One might see my life and judge that I have no business talking about discrimination or unconscious bias (not that we live the life of luxury, but compared to many developing countries we live a charmed existence).  And I have to wonder if they might be right.  I fully acknowledge that at times we live in a flimsy, man-made bubble, and I am grateful for it!  It encapsulates and provides a safe and nourishing space in which our children grow, but don’t think for one moment that I don’t know that frequent, vigorous “poppings” are also essential.  Daily we should see the nameless strangers all around us not through a distorted, iridescent lens, but face to beautiful face.  It is here where we begin to see the “other” as “self.” 


I will never forget the first time I drove from our little home in Farmington Hills, MI, headed east on Grand River Road, and crossed the city line into Detroit, (a city with a charm all its own, I might say; I have a soft spot).  There were many city festivals which we enjoyed there, and proud residents whose association made our lives richer, but I would be lying if I didn’t acknowledge that in the early 2000’s there were many garbage-lined streets, former burned-out meth houses, and trees growing up through the middle of buildings right downtown.  In a very few miles from where my kids jumped on the trampoline and tapped our maple tree for syrup, there was poverty like this Utah girl had never seen before.


Krispy Kreme outside of West Detroit

Beside myself, I called my dad, “What bothers me most is not just that the city suddenly changes, but the color of the skin does too.”  Why is it like that?  Why is there still a difference in this ‘enlightened world?’  Will it ever change?

His response to me was simple, “I don’t know, Sis.  All you can do is make sure that YOU are good to everyone you meet.”  And so it continued (it certainly didn’t start there)—that need to get to know the stranger on Grand River and 8-Mile, the desire to understand why her life was so different from mine when after a few minutes conversation, I could clearly see that we were much the same. 

I can’t tell you how many strangers my son and I saw last week when we popped out of the subway into a sunny Times Square, in New York City.  Newbies to New York, we instantly felt like Northwest salmon swimming upstream a steady flow of people.  “How many faces do you think we saw today?”  Coulson asked me that night.  How many stories existed behind those masks?  At Ground Zero I couldn’t help but recognize that unlike the sea of people in Times Square, these strangers were no longer nameless to me, as their names seared into my mind as they were forever etched into marble, but they were faceless.  I longed to know who that name belonged to. . . Who was their family left behind?  And how could they get up in the morning, knowing their loved one’s life was literally crushed by intolerance and hate?

Encountering a sea of faces in NYC

Peering down the falling fountains into the seemingly bottomless black holes that were the twin towers, I was instantly transported back 15 years to family student housing at Purdue University, to my living room that donned supermarket flooring and cinder block walls; this is where I potty-trained my second boy, and pretended to be a sleeping Aurora for a 3-year-old Prince Philip to wake with a kiss.  My friend had just called and told me to turn on CNN.  I was watching, trying to comprehend the reports as the second plane flew onto the screen, crashed into the second tower and caused it to tumble down.  I was horrified!  Bewildered.  Stunned.  How could this be?  Who could have done this?

Monument at Ground Zero

 Our apartment was one in a complex that was 98% inhabited by international families, literally surrounding us with people whom we knew nothing about.  It was Spence’s second year of grad school.  The first year, I couldn’t have imagined our family of 4 in a 550-square-foot flat, so we spent double the money, and lived in a complex filled with families just like ours.  I have never been more miserable.  There were several factors that contributed to this, but the crushing sameness was definitely one.  Little did I know that when we downsized to save money, we would save my sanity as well. 

Purdue apartment - where we learned we could be happy in a shoe box

My tow-headed boys were one of 3 white kids in our building, where we had friendly Korean neighbors across the hall, and a Pakistani family upstairs who filled the stairwell with delicious aromas, our stomachs with amazing food, and our lives with congenial, lively political conversations.  The boys and I were part of an English conversation moms and tots group, and I tutored wives in the complex so they could practice their English.  (Really, I just asked them everything I wanted to know about their cultures, and I should have been paying them.)  Though the concept of the One World Tower didn’t exist in 2001 we lived a model of it there—strangers, who came from completely different cultures, were all economically humble yet rich in learning opportunities.  We were not only pursuing knowledge, but also an understanding of the wider world in which we live.  We lived in an oasis of tolerance. 


While the horror 9-11 played out on the screen, the events were still incomprehensible and far away.  One Korean friend marveled that there wasn’t rioting in the streets, that the government wasn’t collapsing, that everyone was simply going about their lives.  She felt that THAT was what made America great.  Just as hate and intolerance caused unimaginable calamity, from the depths of what was lost, New Yorkers wiped out translucent barriers and united—that steady, endless river of faces and names—to build something higher and more beautiful in a vision called “One World.”

It may sound trite, but as I looked out over the Hudson to Ellis Island from the Observatory, I felt its significance along with the beautiful Lady Liberty.  I imagined throngs of people (possibly some of my ancestors) reaching that little land of promise, and hoping beyond all hope that they would be let in.  I imagine that this idea of “One World” had meaning for them too.  Would someone like them be welcome here?  What did it mean for me in Indiana?  Detroit?  New York?  What does it mean to me now?

Lady Liberty

I think it meant then, and still means that we actually see one another—our neighbors, our friends, those inside our bubble, but more importantly those that are outside of it - the ones reaching up asking for a bit of change, 
or hollow stares from desperate faces playing out across our television screen as war rages in diverse places across the world.  And what more startling demographic needs to be seen, to be understood, to be known than the current 60 million refugees worldwide?   Do we recognize that the multitudes of faces in the daily media, which like a machine, our brains process day by day, are not nameless strangers, or “huddling masses,” but human beings with hopes and dreams and needs and families and fears, just like you and me.  Failing to “see” humans gives our brains permission to classify them as something “other.”  And when they remain nameless and strange, we are free to ignore their plight and allow our “bubbles” to veil our empathy.  It hurts!  It’s uncomfortable, but we must know the unknown, and unleash our kindness.

 I stood in awe of a room full of nameless strangers recently who consisted of people who came together in a community inter-faith group to discuss refugee relief.   I was struck with how many of us have the tenet to view the “other” as the “self,” (or some version of the “golden rule”).  I was inspired by Jewish, Lutheran, Methodist, Muslim, Coptic Christians, Catholics, Unitarians, Mormons, Wickens, Athiests, Agnostics, and others who came together with hearts full of compassion for displaced individuals.  It felt so right, setting aside our obvious differences, and opening our hearts to one another as we opened them to others in need—like this was exactly what a loving Creator would want.  It was here that I began to recognize that if intolerance truly was the primary factor in the refugee crisis, tolerance must be the antidote.  What was I doing to end it in my own life?  How could I obliterate that bubble, the little ways I distinguish myself from others, overcome my myopic tendencies and extend my vision to really see the up-close nameless stranger eye to eye.  

Interfaith discussion on refugee plight

I think Dad's advice then is even more applicable now; make sure I am GOOD to every spark of life I encounter, and reach out a hand of fellowship and love.  Exactly what a loving Creator would want.

The Golden Rule across religions
Mad Hops 4 Humanity was born out of the crazy notion that an under 6-foot guy could dunk a basketball on his 44th birthday to raise 44k for refugees.  

If you're a little crazy about the current refugee crisis, take a moment to contribute. Funding benefits the Seattle office of the International Rescue Committee (IRC) for use in purchasing and maintaining a passenger van to provide critical transportation services for refugees resettling in the US. 

The IRC is a 501c(3)organization and contributions in the US are tax deductible


No comments:

Post a Comment